It’s one of my favorite holidays… Thanksgiving. Fall air, lots of food, and a time to reflect on the blessings we have.
And I fully believe that just like the reading advent calendars I am sure you’ve seen, kids should be reading about Thanksgiving each day in November to build excitement for such a great fall holiday. Plus, there is such a variety of Thanksgiving related books fro silly turkey adventures to historical fiction.
So pack up, head to the library, and check some of these great books out and then add the ones you enjoyed the most to your home library’s collection to read year after year.
Thanksgiving books for young children
Whether it’s learning the history about why America celebrates thanksgiving and the events that spurred the feast, or learning about the modern holiday and our love of turkeys, there are so many fun books for kids to read.
Plus, if you’re working through a monthly or weekly learning theme, pick a book from every category and you have a great collection!
Thanksgiving Historical Fiction and Books about Pilgrims for kids
- The Story of the Pilgrims
- If You Sailed on the Mayflower
- Thanksgiving on Thursday
- T is for Turkey: A True Thanksgiving Story
- Squanto’s Journey: The Story of the First Thanksgiving
- The First Thanksgiving: A Lift-the-Flap Book
- The Thanksgiving Story
Turkey Books for Children
- I Love to Gobble You Up!
- Five Silly Turkeys
- 10 Fat Turkeys
- Turkey Trouble
- There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Turkey!
Children’s literature that teaches thankfulness
- Being Thankful
- Bear Says Thanks
- Thanksgiving Is for Giving Thanks
- The Berenstain Bears Thanksgiving Blessings
- Biscuit Is Thankful
Other silly & fun Thankfulness and Thanksgiving books for little ones
- Pete the Cat: The First Thanksgiving
- Little Critter: Just a Special Thanksgiving
- The Night Before Thanksgiving
- A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving: With Audio Recording
- Happy Thanksgiving, Curious George
- I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie
- The Berenstain Bears’ Harvest Festival
- Pinkalicious: Thanksgiving Helper
More book lists & posts you’ll enjoy
Kara is the mother of 3 children living and working in Boston, MA. She hates to spend money and absolutely has to know that every penny is worth it before buying. Her educational focus both as a student and a teacher was research… she has put those skills to good use to make wise purchases.